Our Plastic-Free Dream...
At Kendal Mint Co. we are passionate about reducing waste, particularly in our beautiful home The Lake District.
We recognise the current plastic crisis and we are already in the process of transitioning to biodegradable & recyclable packaging where possible, in a bid to help try and reduce single use plastic waste.
Keep your eyes peeled for some exciting new product developments!
How are we going to achieve this?
Through our passion for a more sustainable future we have developed our 3-stage, 'GRN NRG' strategy:
Re-imagine, Reduce, Remove.
First of all, there are some important questions we have to ask ourselves in the interest of honesty and transparency, two of our core values here at KMC.
For some products however, the answer is most definitely YES! Here's some of the progress we've made over the last year.
- September 2019 - Introduction of recycled carboard shipping boxes.
- October 2019 - New recyclable and biodegradable void-fill packaging materials used for all orders.
- Jan 2020 - No more single use plastic mailing bags, now 100% biodegradable.
- Feb 2020 - Our drinks bottles switched from plastic to 100% Biodegradable PE.
- May 2020 - we phased out our single-use powder sachets and released our 100% recyclable pouches for both our Hydration & Recovery powders.
- July 2020 - we introduced a new style of energy gel packaging which uses 30% less packaging and improved seals.
Our GRN NRG Promise
Step 1 - Re-imagine
We actively encourage our team to make more sustainable choices. Whether this be cycling to work, sourcing recyclable and biodegradable materials, researching new products, even down to the use of recycled cardboard and biodegradable shipping bags for our online orders.
We take our teams ideas each day and put them into our innovation tank where we analyse the feasibility, source solutions and action them.
Some simple yet effective examples include our use of: Recycled Cardboard, biodegradable packing materials and our new #KendalMintCleanup campaign which you can read more about here.
Step 2 - Reduce
By 2021 we aim to have reduced our single-use packaging by 75%.
We have already began our “Reduce” phase (as well as our “Remove” phase) some examples of this are below:
- Jan 2020 No more single use plastic mailing bags.
- Feb 2020 Our drinks bottles switched from plastic to 100% Biodegradable PE.
- May 2020 we phased out our single-use powder sachets and released our 100% recyclable pouches for both our Hydration & Recovery powders.
- July 2020 we introduced a new style of energy gel packaging which uses 30% less packaging and improved seals.
Step 3 - Remove
This will not be an easy job but it is necessary. Our road to a plastic free future involves:
- Ongoing Research and Development into sustainable alternatives.
- Real world testing
- Inspiration from YOU!