Our Plastic-Free Dream...
At Kendal Mint Co. we are passionate about reducing waste, particularly in our beautiful home The Lake District.
We recognise the current plastic crisis and we are already in the process of transitioning to biodegradable & recyclable packaging where possible, in a bid to help try and reduce single use plastic waste.
Keep your eyes peeled for some exciting new product developments!
How are we going to achieve this?
Through our passion for a more sustainable future we have developed our 3-stage, 'GRN NRG' strategy:
Re-imagine, Reduce, Remove.
First of all, there are some important questions we have to ask ourselves in the interest of honesty and transparency, two of our core values here at KMC.
Is our current range completely sustainable?
Firstly, it's important to address where we are now. Perhaps our passion means we are too hard on ourselves but the simple answer is no, not all of our products are sustainable, yet.
For most products however, the answer is most definitely yes.
Here's some of the progress we've made over the recent years.
- September 2019 - Introduction of recycled carboard shipping boxes.
- October 2019 - New recyclable and biodegradable void-fill packaging materials used for all orders.
- Jan 2020 - No more single use plastic mailing bags, now 100% biodegradable.
- Feb 2020 - Our drinks bottles switched from plastic to 100% Biodegradable PE.
- May 2020 - we phased out our single-use powder sachets and released our 100% recyclable pouches for both our Hydration & Recovery powders.
- July 2020 - we introduced a new style of energy gel packaging which uses 30% less packaging and improved seals.
- Jan 2021 - Responsibly Sourced, 100% Organic Cotton, Vegan & PETA Certified Clothing Range. More here.
- March 2021 -New 100% Biodegradable 500ml Drinks Bottles.
- July 2021 - NEW Refillable Energy Gel - Simpler, Faster, Cleaner - for a greener way to consume Energy Gels.
We are proud of the progress we have made so far but the journey has only just begun.
Our GRN NRG Promise
How do I know which products are GRN NRG Certified?
We've just introduced our new 'GRN NRG Certified' Badge to help you spot which of our products have enhanced sustainable credentials.
We actively encourage our team to make more sustainable choices. Whether this be cycling to work, sourcing recyclable and biodegradable materials, researching new products, even down to the use of recycled cardboard and biodegradable shipping bags for our online orders.
We take our teams ideas each day and put them into our innovation tank where we analyse the feasibility, source solutions and action them.
Some simple yet effective examples include our use of: Recycled Cardboard, biodegradable packing materials, our #KendalMintCleanup campaign, Refillable Energy Gels...
We've a "glass half full" kinda mindset - you can never stop re-imagining...
By 2024 we aim to have reduced our single-use packaging by 75%.
We have already began our “Reduce” phase (as well as our “Remove” phase) some examples of this are below:
- Jan 2020 No more single use plastic mailing bags.
- Feb 2020 Our drinks bottles switched from plastic to 100% Biodegradable PE.
- May 2020 we phased out our single-use powder sachets and released our 100% recyclable pouches for both our Hydration & Recovery powders.
- July 2020 we introduced a new style of energy gel packaging which uses 30% less packaging and improved seals.
- July 2021 We introduced a new refillable Energy Gel pack and flask which reduced our plastic waste by a further 60%.
We've made some great progress here...
We are making a promise to Ourselves, The Environment and our fellow Human Beings that by 2025 we will have done everything we can to remove single use plastic products from our range entirely.
This will not be an easy job but it is necessary. Our road to a plastic free future involves:
- Ongoing Research and Development into sustainable alternatives.
- Real world testing
- Inspiration from you.
Have you got some GRN NRG ideas? Let us know!
Sustainable Performance Nutrition
From Recyclable to Biodegradable.
Award-Winning Refillable & Reusable Energy Gels
Winner of Best In Test and Eco Champion, Women's Running Mag. "I would happily give them six stars if it didn't fly in the face of our entire review system."