By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.kendalmint.co.uk/
Why Protein recovery is key to a successful endurance athlete's diet
"Protein" a buzzword thrown around by gym-goers but it isn't all about big biceps and pumping Iron
Rapid Protein recovery is just as important for optimising recovery and performance in endurance athletes and here is why.
In simple terms The faster and more effectively you recover, the sooner you can get back to training hard. Not only this, by recovering more effectively you will also be able to train more effectively and you will get more benefit from doing so.
Why do I need Protein to recover?
Every time you exercise muscle tissue is damaged and the extent of damage depends on the intensity and duration. This is actually the first key part of your adaptation to training. The second part occurs when your muscles begin to repair and rebuild, into leaner, faster and even stronger muscles.
Protein is broken down into Amino acids by the body, which are important in facilitating the repair and rebuilding of muscle fibres after exercise.
There are 4 other "Pillars" that form part of dietary recovery:
- Carbohydrate - To replenish depleted energy stores and help synthesise Proteins to optimise your recovery.
- Water – to replace fluid lost as sweat and to aid the process of glycogen storage in muscle (each gram of glycogen synthesised in muscle requires around three grams of water to 'fix' it in place;
- Electrolytes – to replenish minerals lost in sweat (eg sodium, chloride, calcium, magnesium). Read more here.
The role of Carbohydrates in recovery
- Replenish glycogen stores (Glycogen is the body's main source of fuel for exercise) but also
- To replenish Liver Glycogen levels to maintain the your correct blood sugar level.
- To stimulate the release of Insulin, a hormone which helps move glucose and Amino Acids (from the Protein) into your very hungry muscle cells.
How does Protein help the body recover?
So we what do we already know about Protein? Protein is broken down into Amino Acids by the body, which play an important role in repairing and rebuilding your muscles into leaner, faster and stronger muscles - right?
Most importantly, your body does not store protein the same way it does carbohydrate (in the form of glycogen). So it's important that we incorporate protein into each meal and snack of the day, even more so if you're exercising regularly. This is why when training hard, taking supplements such as Protein Recovery shakes can really make a difference. Protein is fundamental to:
- Aiding in the repair of exercise-induced damage to muscle fibers.
- Promoting training-induced adaptations in muscle fibers (e.g., synthesis of new proteins that are involved in energy production and/or force generation).
- Facilitating the replenishment of depleted energy stores.
How much protein?
As part of your everyday diet, it is recommended you have 0.8 grams of Protein per kilogram of body weight (0.36 grams per pound). However, the right amount of Protein really depends on your activity, age, muscle mass and your goals whether they be building bigger muscles, or leaner muscles.
Proteins are actually the main building blocks of most of your body. Muscles, Tendons, Organs, Skin, Enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters the list goes on. They are made from smaller molecules called Amino Acids which form a chain and are "folded" into complex shapes. Your body produces many of these whilst other Essential Amino Acids come from your diet. So the question is less about "How much Protein?" but more "How can I get my essential Amino Acids from my diet"?
Well, Animal Protein such as meat, fish, eggs or dairy, is great at doing this as part of your diet. Other lifestyles which avoid animal proteins may require a different approach which you can read more about here.
However, you can help supplement this Essential Amino Acid profile using Whey Proteins and that's where Protein and Recovery shakes come in...
How do Protein Recovery shakes work?
Why protein is considered the best option for fast and effective delivery of essential Amino Acids before and after training to help optimise your recovery. Although you should always consume protein as part of your meals here are some reasons Protein Recovery Shakes can help:
- Often, you experience a lack of hunger post exercise and shakes offer a convenient method of taking protein as a drink.
- Whey Protein is very easily digested and absorbed from the gut more quickly to start the rapid recovery process.
The difference between "Protein Shakes" and "Protein Recovery Shakes"
In very simple terms, each tends to have a more specific desired outcome. Generally, Protein Shakes have more protein and less if not any Carbohydrate designed to preserve lean muscle mass or encourage growth.
Protein "Recovery Shakes" tend to also contain more Carbohydrate, arguably more important than Protein for some people. This is really important as mentioned in our remarks earlier to replenish Glycogen stores, maintain blood sugar levels and control the release of insulin.
Taking protein post-workout can actually accelerate the uptake of Carbohydrate which leads us to a hot-topic..."Can Protein help you lose fat?"
Can Protein help you lose fat?
Yes, it can. Eating more protein can help promote fat loss by:
- Suppressing your appetite, which leads to less calorie intake.
- Increasing your metabolism, to help burn more calories.
- To help maintain muscle mass whilst losing weight -Critical for athletes who are trying to improve fitness but also lose weight.
How can KMC PRO MIX Protein Recovery Powder help you achieve your goals?
Well, other than the fact it tastes just like a milkshake - absolutely delicious (we might be slightly biased). KMC PRO MIX Provides you with a great tasting, well-rounded solution to help you train hard and Recover Faster as well as:
- 21g of Premium Whey Protein Concentrate per serve. To help Repair, Rebuild & Adapt muscle fibres into Leaner, Faster & Stronger Muscle. It also helps facilitate the replenishment of depleted energy stores.
- Our Dual-Charge Carbohydrate formula. To rapidly replenish depleted energy stores and help synthesise Proteins to optimise your recovery. You can read more about our Dual-Charge" Formula here.
- Quality You Can Trust - All of our Recovery Products take a World Class approach to testing for banned substances and quality. You can find our more here.
- It's also Gluten Free, Suitable For Vegetarians and Easy to Digest.
MOST IMPORTANTLY - IT'S 100% RECYCLABLE! That's right! All of the Protein, without the extra baggage.
Want to save ££'s on your first order?
Simple! Get 10% off your first order and Free Delivery when you sign-up to our mailing list here. Don't worry you can unsubscribe whenever you like but you will get insider access to exclusive offers and deals. Click below to sign-up!